Different things you have to consider when trying to keep your data safe and there are some things that you should not do.
- Frequently backup your data
- Turn off your computer if you notice anything wrong with it and do not attempt to power on often which could result in further damage of data
- If you need to send your drive to a recovery service for data recovery. Package it properly to prevent any other damage during transport
- In case of any damage to the hard drive, do not attempt to fix it by removing the cover, seek expert assistance
- Never place your computer on a movable object, shock may cause damage to the hard drive
- Never subject the hard drive to extreme temperature change, hot or cold
- Never attempt to power on if the drive has been exposed to water, fire, or smoke